A cake sure to satisfy any chocolate lover
We are big believers that nothing says lovin' like somethin' from the oven - and when that something includes chocolate, we're head over heels!
Our rich chocolate cake might look simple to make (and it is!) but it packs a big punch in the form of a velvety ganache topping that will have any chocolate lover swooning.
Make this for someone who adores chocolate and they'll be sure to love you forever!
Rich chocolate cake with chocolate ganache
Preparation time : 20 minutes
Cooking time : 1 hour 15 minutes
200g / 7oz unsalted butter, chopped
1 ¼ cups caster sugar
175g / 6oz dark chocolate, chopped
1 cup milk
2 cups self raising flour
100g / 3.5oz dark chocolate, chopped
½ cup thickened cream
- Preheat oven to 170C / 340f. Lightly grease a 20cm / 8 inch silicone square cake pan.
- Place butter, sugar, chocolate and milk in a saucepan over low heat and stir until fully melted and combined. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile sift flour into a large bowl. Stir eggs through cooled chocolate mixture then pour into bowl with flour. Stir with a large spoon or spatula until just combined. Spoon mixture into cake pan.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes until cooked through when tested with a skewer. Remove from oven, allow to cool for a couple of minutes in pan then transfer to a wire rack. Cool completely then decorate.
- Meanwhile make the chocolate ganache. Place chocolate and cream in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until fully melted and combined. Refrigerate until cooled and thickened. Spread over cake to serve.
Decoration: For a special occasion, we love this cake decorated with freeze dried, edible flowers. Alternatively, fruit and chocolate shavings make for a sumptuous treat!